Monday, October 30, 2006

Spare the Rod, Spare the Child

I had every intention of leading a class discussion on corporal punishment this summer with the MTC First Years, but alas, we ran out of time. I know Chris Elias was really upset about this, and I promise that I will have this discussion at some point. Maybe I will try to fit it in on the last day of EDSE 600. I have a PowerPoint I created that highlights research on the negative effects of corporal punishment. A few of my favorite quotes from this PowerPoint are below.

“Punitive discipline is by definition need-depriving as opposed to need-satisfying.” -Dr. Thomas Gordon


“Everyone, regardless of age or dependency, is entitled to freedom from violence. In the US, it is against the law to hit prisoners, criminals, other adults. Ironically, the only living beings it is legal to hit are the most vulnerable members of our society - those we are charged to protect - children. Does this make sense? Adults must quit using "discipline" as an excuse to treat children in ways they would never tolerate for themselves.”
-Center for Effective Discipline


"If we are ever to turn toward a kindlier society and a safer world, a revulsion against the physical punishment of children would be a good place to start."
- Dr. Benjamin Spock

1 Comments:

Blogger Adam Ewing said...

I enjoyed the quotations, particularly the last two. I have always considered corporal punishment to be "wrong", but before coming to Mississippi I could not define exactly why I felt that way. However, something Jake Roth told me framed the issue nicely: by using corporal punishment we are basically associating violence with power. Beyond all other arguments, this is the one I can get behind. Recently, the Jackson Free Press featured a cover story that examined why Mississippi is the most dangerous state in America for women. Though there are myriad factors that go into creating such a culture, I am certain that corporal punishment - and its implicit suggestion that violence is a tool wielded by those with authority - plays into this sad designation.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home