Sunday, August 14, 2005

A New Year

I've always thought of August as the first month of the year. To teachers, and probably students, a new year begins on the first day of school. Tomorrow is my first day of school. I am anxious and excited. I can't wait to get back in the swing of things.
As a child I can remember the thrill of the annual trip to P & S School and Office Supply where we loaded up the cart with new notebooks, pencils, pens, Trapperkeepers,and of course the almighty pencil box. When I was in school, we kept our crayons and pencils in cardboard cigar boxes. The plastic Rubbermaid variety didn't exist. My favorite box was the one I had in fourth grade. It sported a map of the United States on the lid and a list of the capital cities along the sides. I thought this was very sophisticated. I did however opt for the very unsophisticated Charlie Brown lunch box with matching thermos. I never used the thermos. I always thought the kids who brought soup in their thermos were weird.
Structure, schedules, rules, and routine have always been my thing. That is one reason the start of school has been one of my favorite times of the year. It holds the promise of a fresh start, a new beginning. You pledge to do your best and hope you can keep up with the pace. You begin the journey with optimism and all the new shiny supplies your backpack can hold.
Teachers are no exception. The same excitement and nervousness that filled me as a child still fills me today. I get a kick out of preparing a syllabus or creating a new assignment. And, there is no end to the joy I receive when purchasing new file folders, pens, pencils, etc. I am still crazy for an office supply store.
I start this new year with a sense of joy and optimism ( and a little dread at the thought of starting my dissertation!). I can't wait to hear from the MTC first years on August 20. I hope their year is off to a great start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home