Sunday, June 26, 2005

Ode to the Blog

If I have one complaint about this summer it would be that I have not seen the first years in action. I've taught lesson planning, instructional strategies, and classroom management yet have been unable to see my students implement any of the practices we have discussed. But, Oh, the beauty of the blog! My EDSE 500 students have done an incredible job reflecting on their classroom experiences. I have been glued to the blogs all weekend checking for fresh posts. This is either a sign of my dedication to the education profession or an indication of how pathetic one's life becomes after thrity. Maybe it's both. Regardless, I am proud of what I have been hearing from the first years.

Most everyone hates to watch themselves on video, but the opportunity to evaluate your own teaching in this manner is priceless. From Dave Molina's flailing arms, to Adryon's bangs, everyone has complaints or comments about their teaching style. What's most important, however, is the way we process this information. How can we build on our strengths and change the things we don't like? The act of "blogging it out" puts us on the path to reflection and positive change. I truly feel this process is beneficial and will make us better teachers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben Guest said...

Amen.

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home