Sunday, June 05, 2005

First Week

I have to admit that I was a little intimidated when Ben and Germain first asked me to teach this summer with the Mississippi Teacher Corps. I have enjoyed teaching our Ole Miss undergraduate elementary majors, but preparing secondary teachers for life in the Delta was something else. My fears subsided as Ben, Germain, and I began to plan for EDSE 500. I truly feel we have a framework for instruction that will meet the needs of these special first year teachers.

The first week has been a blast. I have had a great time getting to know the class of 2005. This diverse group will have a tremendous effect on the lives of the children they teach. I have also been impressed with the courage and dedication of the class--they are not teachers by trade, and yet they have embraced the profession with enthusiasm. All while adjusting to life in Mississippi! I admire your fortitude, first years!

As the summer drifts by and a new school year arrives, I hope the knowledge gained during the summer of 2005 gives this class the skills and confidence needed to create a learning environment where every child succeeds. Good luck in your journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home