Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Headache or The Difference Part II

Teacher Corps 2006 has just started and I already have a headache. The first years seem great. Seeing the second years makes me smile. It is a joy to be working with Joe Sweeney. Germain and Ben have actually made summer school at Holly Springs a reality. Things couldn't be better. So why is my head killing me? I think it has something to do with lesson planning. I get stressed just thinking about teaching "the anatomy of a lesson plan." How can I teach lesson planning in five days when it takes the SOE four years to prepare our undergrads for this task? I have never been comfortable teaching the fine art of writing lesson plans. Give me a topic like classroom management, parental involvement, or social and emotional development and I'm good to go. I, myself, have a hard time putting into words what I want to teach and how I want to teach it. It is all in my head and it all makes sense. The thought of putting it down on paper gives me a headache.

I walk into room 115 with dread and a headache. I leave two and a half hours later with tons of energy and a feeling of accomplishment and excitement. That's what teaching can do for you. The instant I begin class my mood changes and my energy level increases. One of the first years blogged that I was bubbly, almost too bubbly. This statement is proof positive that teaching is like a drug. If he only knew what I was like at home- definately not bubbly! I take his comment as a compliment. I am genuinely enthusiastic. I love to teach. I want my students to do well. I want them to learn, to succeed. I think enthusiasm is important ( see previous post on enthusiasm and teaching-"The Difference"). I think it is neccessary-even when it comes to lesson planning!

1 Comments:

Blogger Richard Williams said...

Teaching is a drug! I had a wonderful conversation with a teacher friend of mine about how we got "hooked", the history of our addictions. It's an amazing high that only performers know.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home