Saturday, July 01, 2006

Independence Day

Holly Springs' Summer School has ended. Post-test scores show the students have learned much from the experience. The students from Marshall County are free to enjoy their last few weeks of summer vacation. The second year Teacher Corps members are also basking in their freedom from another summer of classes at Ole Miss. They will now start preparing for a second year of teaching.

While the first year Corps members are not done yet, they have gained a sense of independence and confidence that can only come from an authentic teaching experience. The students at Holly Springs have no idea they gave more than they received.

I too have gained a sense of independence and confidence. Nearing my second summer with MTC I feel I have a firm grasp on what my role is in MTC and what I need to communicate to the first years. I have learned more from them than they have from me.

I enter the month of July with a profound sense of optimism. The class of 2005 will begin a new year as an experienced group of "veteran" teachers. They will experience a level of success they never thought possible. They are probably unaware of how much they have grown over the past year. The class of 2006 may be the most prepared group that has ever left MTC summer training. They will start teaching in just a few short weeks. I expect great things from them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home